At the heart of 18i8 is a set of four Focusrite mic preamps with up to 60dB gain, designed specifically for Focusrite's computer audio interfaces. The first two inputs offer Mic/Line/Instrument on universal XLR/TRS connectors, while inputs 3 and 4 offer Mic/Line capability on universal XLRs-all four are on the front panel with pads and 48V phantom power. Four more line inputs are provided on TRS connectors. An ADAT optical digital connector provides eight additional digital inputs that can also be used with external mic preamps like Focusrite's OctoPre Mk II (sold separately) to increase the number of mic inputs the 18i8 can handle to 12. A stereo S/PDIF coaxial input is also included. On the output side, there are two TRS monitor outputs, stereo S/PDIF coax, and two independent stereo headphone outputs, each with their own volume knob so both the artist and the engineer can control their own personal monitoring. All analog inputs and outputs have their own connectors, so there is no need for breakout cables, and all feature Focusrite precision 24-bit, 96kHz sampling A/D and D/A conversion to get the most accurate signal possible into and out of recording applications on Windows, Mac and now iOS apps.
Scarlett 18i8 is housed in a compact red unibody metal case to withstand the rigors of the road-and the studio. Input level controls feature signal halos-LED rings around the level control that give a simple and immediate go/no-go level indication: green means there is a recordable signal while red indicates overload. A large main monitor knob with mute button means that main monitor levels are always at your fingertips.
- Four award-winning Focusrite mic pres with 18 inputs and 8 outputs
- Two independent headphone outputs each with a level control
- Rugged metal unibody chassis. High quality 24bit 96KHz audio interface for Mac, PC and iPad
- Includes an authorization code for Ableton Live Lite, Scarlett Plug-in Suite (RTAS/AU/VST), Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-in Suite (AAX/AU/VST), the Softube Time and Tone Bundle, Novation Bass Station, and 1GB of Loopmasters samples
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.8/Windows 7 or higher