Soundbeam® is a system that detects the distance, direction and velocity of
body movements in a defined space, and translates these body gestures into
control signals for creating electronic music or manipulating multimedia.
Ultrasonic detectors and various contact switches connect to the Soundbeam unit,
which provides MIDI connections to synthesizers, sound modules, keyboard
instruments and other MIDI compatible musical and multimedia
Invented by composer Edward Williams to give dancers a new
relationship with music, Soundbeam now narrows for everyone the gap between what
can be imagined and what can be physically achieved. Soundbeam is intuitive,
engaging, and encourages collaboration.
Up to four ultrasonic sensors
send out beams of ultrasonic pulses - similar to a bat's sonar, too high in
pitch for us to hear - listening for echoes from any interruption of the beam
and converting them into MIDI instructions for playing electronic musical
instruments, and activating images or visual effects.
- Internal integrated sound chip: no need to wire up to external sound module
- USB enabled: upgrades, sounds and compositions can be emailed to you for
download into your machine; students can post their compositions and
performances on the internet.
- On-board sampler: record your own sounds!
- Memory card: access to potentially unlimited libraries of instruments, sound
effects, rhythm loops.
- Internal amplifier, EQ and mixer.
- Rock-solid accuracy in playing melody and harmonic progressions.
- Complete session recorder.